Walking Safaris Enquire Now
“An early morning chill, we breathe out moisture as we carefully study the imprints in sand…Walking safaris are the ultimate safari experience. Combining wilderness, sustainability, exercise, adrenalin, and quiet moments of solitude and reflection. Tracking big game on foot is an inherent instinct inside us; we all just need to unleash that instinct. Listening, hearing: An insect tip toeing on grains of sand, a kudu’s alarm bark, or the stomach-rumble of an elephant.”
Walking safaris can involve sleeping around the fire, but do not need to be basic. We typically base these safaris in the Klaserie, the Timbavati and northern Kruger but can be conducted anywhere.
3-Night Pafuri Walking Trail
Pafuri is unrivaled walking country. Open from April to October every year, these walking trails are renowned for offering true bush lovers an opportunity to experience one of Kruger’s remotest corners on foot. Led by experienced field guides, guests will explore a place that is as vast as it is varied and wild. The trail offers guests a chance to focus on the little things, while also experiencing the rush of adrenaline when encountering the Big 5 on foot. Home base is a seasonal bush camp near the banks of the Luvuvhu where guests will enjoy hearty food and drink in a setting that allows a close-up experience of untamed Africa.
What to expect:
- Rustic, eco-friendly and off-the-grid trails camp in the heart of the bush
- Comfortable camping beds
- Serviced daily
- Stocked bar – for own account
- Minimum two night stay
- Open from April to October
- Can accommodate a maximum of eight guests
- Professional walking guide
- Short game drives to reach different parts of the concession where walks will take place
- Walks last anywhere between 2,5 and 4 hours, and range from 4-10 km per walk
- Lead guide will take into account the fitness levels of the entire group
- Big 5 game reserve
- Highest biodiversity in Kruger National Park
- Diverse scenery and landscape including Lanner Gorge, Crook’s Corner, Fever Tree Forest, pans, mountains and foodplains
- Birder’s paradise (over 350 species of birds) with unique species only occurring in Pafuri
4-Night Timbavati Walking Trail
The Lowveld Trails mobile camp is a no-frills, rustic camp in the Timbavati. The aim is to keep the camp’s footprint as small as possible, so tents and equipment will only be set up for each booking, and once guests have departed, everything is packed away again. The camp appeals to the kind of person who would enjoy walking and more of a ‘camping-style’ safari (although we provide all the catering). We have a traversing area of more than 10 000ha and can sometimes go for 2-3 days without seeing other people!
The camp is all about the wilderness experience, being in the bush, no cell phones, and no electricity. Bateleur Mobile Camp is siutated right in the middle of the Timbavati, along the Zebeneen dry riverbed, and the Shlaralumi also passes through our traverse.
The area offers all the big game, plains game, and a wide variety of different habatats, big trees along the dry riverbeds, knobthorn and marula savanna, and also large sodic soil areas scattered with gwarri bushes. Daily schedules are totally flexible. Interpretive walks in the morning take 3-4 hours, while afternoon and sunset game drives end the day including periods with the spotlight searching for some of the more elusive nocturnal creatures.